Saturday 23 July 2011

Edible Gardening In All Its Forms

While I'm not by any stretch of the imagination what you would call green fingered I do like fresh herbs when I'm cooking (I've also started making my own flavoured oils but more on that another time). After managing to bring a forlorn, reduced section basil plant back to life with a new pot and some sunshine I decided to actually try the whole process from scratch by planting some parsley seeds. Needless to say I buggered it up to begin with and the boy had to remove some of the too heavy layer of soil and placed over the top but they seem to be doing OK so far...

Flourishing little basil plant originally purchased for 39p from Tesco

Parsley sprouts watched over by a little gnome 

Both of the planters have their own terracotta engraved name tags which we found dumped in the back garden when we first moved in.

Finally I had to show off something my mum just made. She makes cakes, cupcakes and cake pops for a living and was asked by a friend of mine to do some cupcakes and pops with a gardening theme...

Vanilla sponge and frosting with sunflower, carrots, gardening gloves, seed packet, rose and watering can with pumpkin (all made by hand)

Ladybird, bumblebee and strawberry vanilla cakepops

4 comments:

Marthaamay O_o said...

Look at them all growing nicely! You have a terracotta waterer too, I really want one of those, is it good at it's job?

N @ TTA said...

It's really good for the little seedlings to stop them getting dry and also so they dont get battered by pouring water on to them. Originally had it in with the basil and there wasn't really much point. It was from Wilko's and it only cost a couple of pound. I'll admit though, I mainly bought it coz he's a gnome!

Marthaamay O_o said...

Yeah, I have to make sure my soil is pretty wet when I plant seeds because then I don't have to water them after and have them all rise to the top!
It's odd, I have not seen a Wilko's round here at all.. but I'm up north again at the weekend so I'll keep my eye out for a cat one or something!!
So, you're a gnome lover!!?

N @ TTA said...

En mass they creep me out but on little guy is ok