Thursday 21 April 2011

Meet Indie Cindy

Well, to be honest Cindy was a little busy stocking her new shop and making preparations for its official opening party on May Day. But her lovely friend Rowan was more than happy to give me a little more information on the new addition to Bird's Yard in Leeds.

Rowan herself has been hand making and selling jewellery under the moniker Kitschen Sink for some time now in galleries, Selfridges and in her online shop. But now she's taken the leap and opened up a real life store! I shot Rowan a few quick questions to find out more about what we can expect to get from Yorkshire's newest indie edition.

So, what made you want to set up a bricks and mortar store?

Opening a bricks and mortar has always been a daydream of mine. I've always loved customer contact and I love Leeds as a whole but never thought I'd seriously get a proper shop right in Leeds city centre's independent shopping district! I'd heard a lot about Birds Yard so I checked out their website to find them and noticed they had a room available on the first floor. I figured if I asked how much it was, it could be something I could work towards. Two weeks later I'm head over heels in love with the art deco building and Bird's Yard vibe and setting up shop with my imaginary business partner/friend Cindy!

Which independent designers are you going to be stocking?

I'm really lucky to have sold alongside some amazing talent at Selfridges, the Knitting and Stitching Show and Bust Craftacular amongst other places, so Cindy has some awesome designers like Knit and Destroy, Magasin and Littleclouds, nestled nicely between more local designers like Chickadeedee, Memo and Finest Imaginary.

What kinds of products has Cindy sourced for us?

Cindy is selling all things useful and/or decorative that are either colourful or cute, and are original designs. No beads on strings here! It's important to Cinds that the designers she picks make something that's identifiably theirs, that her shoppers will want to wear or show their purchases with pride and boast where they bought them from!


Pop to the first floor of Bird's Yard (83 Kirkgate, Leeds) to visit Indie Cindy - prices start at just £1 for postcards up to £50 for a handmade leather bag. In between you'll find fashion jewellery, prints, notebooks, pocket mirrors, badges, cushions, glasses cases, key rings, canvas totes and more!


Near Leeds on May 1st between 2pm-4pm? RSVP at the Indie Cindy blog and grab yourself a party ring and a piece of craft couture from a host of independent cult designers.

5 comments:

Marthaamay O_o said...

Indie Cindy is just the shop we are all waiting for!
I love the cards all pegged up.

And I like how you use the tiny a logo and the interveiwee's logo to make it clear who's response we are reading. Nice interview layout. :)

N @ TTA said...

thanks maarfs. i think it makes more impact than just typing the names or writing 'question' and 'answer'. can't wait for my next trip to leeds to spend lots of money here.

Marthaamay O_o said...

me too!

kirsty said...

i've gotten giddy reading this...I so need to visit! great interview x

N @ TTA said...

thanks kirsty x